Advice and suggestions for parents / carers
- iPad provides an environment / tool for learning; that is its main purpose.
- Students can use it for other purposes but these must be appropriate to the context – school or home – and subject to permission.
- We support parent decisions about the setting of boundaries at home as long as school work can be completed.
- Students are not allowed to download games and entertainment apps on their school iPad.
Tips for Supervision
- Students don’t need to use the iPad all the time at home
- Teenage children need their sleep, so we strongly suggest that the iPad is NOT TAKEN TO BED. For younger children, it is best that iPads don’t go in their bedrooms
- If you are experiencing problems, we recommend that you specify where in the house the iPad can be used
- where it is to be stored when not in use (this can be the location for charging)
- Students are banned from installing games and entertainment apps on their school iPad. Students who make inappropriate use of iPads at school will go through the classroom behaviour management process. Students will be asked to delete content from their iPad that is inappropriate for school.
- Check the history in Safari or any web browser they may have used
Share the Experience
- Ask your children to demonstrate the way they use their iPad for school
- Ask your children teach to you how to use the iPad
- Have a play with the iPad and apps
View Music, Videos and Apps
- Have a look at what your child is viewing, listening to or playing via,
- Music- Click on the Music app to view the music library
- Videos- click on the videos app to view the video library
- Apps- scroll with your finger through the iPad desktop pages to view the apps
- Before starting homework / study time, ask your child to:
- close all irrelevant apps
- close all irrelevant WWW pages in Safari
- if you are experiencing problems with your child/childern being off-task while completing homework/ study time there is the option of setting up Guided Access. Guided Access helps the iPad user to stay focused on a task while using your iPad. Guided Access limits your device to a single app and lets you control which app features are available
Parental Controls – Restrictions
- Parental controls (Restrictions) are available on the iPad, if needed. These restrictions will only work on downloaded iTunes music, games and apps. Restrctions will not restrict or block inappropriate websites when using Safari or any other web browser app
- Please be careful with this feature
- Parental controls can block iPad features that will be needed at school. Please consult the school for clarification
- If you forget the password, the device will need to be wiped and reset to factory settings
- OpenDNS provides parents a way to secure their internet connection and prevent access to restricted web sites. The advantage for parents is that this can be applied to ALL devices in the home.
- A Wi-Fi ADSL2+ modem router purchased from cybersafe247 that connects home devices to the Internet like any wireless modem router does, however, the parental control system allows you to view real-time reports of home Internet usage and then set rules to manage its access.
- The user friendly interface is completely flexible allowing you to either block certain websites or schedule when the Internet can be accessed, with an option of applying your rules to the whole house or individual devices.
- More information, purchasing and set-up can be found at: http://www.cybersafe247.com/
- provides activities, resources and practical advice to help children safely enjoy the online world
- lets you control the websites that are accessible on all Internet-connected devices in your home
A Wi-Fi ADSL2+ modem router purchased from cybersafe247 that connects home devices to the Internet like any wireless modem router does, however, the parental control system allows you to view real-time reports of home Internet usage and then set rules to manage its access. The user friendly interface is completely flexible allowing you to either block certain websites or schedule when the Internet can be accessed, with an option of applying your rules to the whole house or individual devices.
chat site monitoring system